I dreamed this up when I was on the wrong side of mono. Of course, I didn’t have a huge appetite for much except anything with a turmeric-lemon flavor. Once I was able to get my hands on some good quality stew beef, I created this magical stew.
Did you know that grass fed beef is a great source of fat for slow-burning energy? It’s chock full of B vitamins; plus iron and selenium. It has a great amount of protein as well. Furthermore, the broth in this recipe supports your cells with an excellent amino acid profile.
However, if your budget won’t allow grass fed beef, chicken will do nicely in this dish.
Can I also just wax poetic about turmeric? I’m currently obsessed with fresh turmeric, but I have both fresh and dried on hand in my kitchen. Dried turmeric is nature’s pixie dust, making liquids “fly” in terms of antioxidant profile. Nevertheless, fresh turmeric gifts cannot be contained once unleashed. Mainstream health claims several benefits of turmeric, such as anti-inflammatory, pain relieving, and fighter of free radicals. (health.clevelandclinic.org). All this being said, I’m going to go on the way I feel, the way it tastes, and its’ thousands of years of culinary success.
Lemon provides the perfect acidic balance for this dish, and I like big, fragrant pieces of it in my stew! And ginger adds a boost to the immune supporting trifecta of garlic, lemon, and the superstar: turmeric.
- 2 lbs beef stew, generously salted
- ¼ lemon, sliced thin
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp turmeric or 1 inch peeled fresh turmeric, minced
- 1.5 inches peeled ginger, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup bone broth (chicken or beef)
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- White rice or cauliflower rice
- Cilantro & coconut milk for garnish
- Using Sauté function on the Instant Pot, melt 1 Tbsp of ghee for one minute.
- Once melted, add 1/3 of the meat and brown in batches. Transfer browned meat to a plate.
- Slightly brown lemon for 30 seconds on each side.
- Once lemons are lightly cooked, add browned stew meat, ground mustard, turmeric, ginger, garlic, pepper and broth to lightly cooked lemons.
- Turn Instant Pot off. Close it and seal it, press and the “Stew” setting. Let cook for 30 minutes, with a natural release.
Enjoy stew with white rice or cauliflower rice. Use cilantro and coconut milk for garnish.